If Cilium loses connectivity with the KV-Store, it guarantees that:
- Normal networking operations will continue;
- If policy enforcement is enabled, the existing Endpoint will still have their policy enforced but you will lose the ability to add additional containers that belong to security identities which are unknown on the node;
- If services are enabled, you will lose the ability to add additional services / loadbalancers;
- When the connectivity is restored to the KV-Store, Cilium can take up to 5 minutes to re-sync the out-of-sync state with the KV-Store.
Cilium will keep running even if it is out-of-sync with the KV-Store.
If Cilium crashes / or the DaemonSet is accidentally deleted, the following are guaranteed:
- When running Cilium as a DaemonSet / container, with the specification files provided in the documentation Installation with external etcd, the endpoints / containers which are already running will not lose any connectivity, and they will keep running with the policy loaded before Cilium stopped unexpectedly.
- When running Cilium in a different way, just make sure the bpf fs is mounted Mounted BPF filesystem.