Building Container Images¶
Two make targets exists to build container images automatically based on the locally checked out branch:
DOCKER_IMAGE_TAG=jane-developer-my-fix make dev-docker-image
You can then push the image tag to the registry for development builds:
docker push cilium/cilium-dev:jane-developer-my-fix
Access to the developer builds registry is restricted but access is granted liberally. Join the #development channel in Slack and ask for permission to push builds.
Official release images¶
Anyone can build official release images using the make target below but pushing to the official registries is restricted to Cilium maintainers. Ask in the #launchpad Slack channels for the exact details.
DOCKER_IMAGE_TAG=v1.4.0 make docker-image
You can then push the image tag to the registry:
docker push cilium/cilium:v1.4.0
Update cilium-builder and cilium-runtime images¶
Login to quay.io with your credentials to the repository that you want to update:
- After login, select the tab “builds” on the left menu.
- Click on the wheel.
- Enable the trigger for that build trigger.
- Confirm that you want to enable the trigger.
- After enabling the trigger, click again on the wheel.
- And click on “Run Trigger Now”.
- A new pop-up will appear and you can select the branch that contains your changes.
- Select the branch that contains the new changes.
- After selecting your branch click on “Start Build”.
- Once the build has started you can disable the Build trigger by clicking on the wheel.
- And click on “Disable Trigger”.
- Confirm that you want to disable the build trigger.
- Once the build is finished click under Tags (on the left menu).
- Click on the wheel and;
- Add a new tag to the image that was built.
- Write the name of the tag that you want to give for the newly built image.
- Confirm the name is correct and click on “Create Tag”.
- After the new tag was created you can delete the other tag, which is the name of your branch. Select the tag name.
- Click in Actions.
- Click in “Delete Tags”.
- Confirm that you want to delete tag with your branch name.
You have created a new image build with a new tag. The next steps should be to
update the repository root’s Dockerfile so that it points to the new
cilium-runtime image recently created.
- Update the versions of the images that are pulled into the CI VMs.
- Open a PR against the Packer-CI-Build with an update to said image versions. Once your PR is merged, a new version of the VM will be ready for consumption in the CI.
- Update the
test/Vagrantfileto contain the new version, which is the build number from the Jenkins Job for the VMs. For example, build 119 from the pipeline would be the value to set for
- Open a pull request with this version change in the cilium repository.
Nightly Docker image¶
After each successful Nightly build, a cilium/nightly image is pushed to dockerhub.
To use latest nightly build, please use
Nightly images are stored on dockerhub tagged with following format:
Job number is added to tag for the unlikely event of two consecutive nightly builds being built on the same date.